I bought 1/2 yard pieces of 6 different cottons - solid black, peach, ivory and teal, and two prints, a black and white star print and grey polka dot print. For the back I used a small black and white floral, and bound the whole thing in pink bias tape (I didn't make my own, but probably will for my next attempt!).
This crib-size quilt went together so fast! I cut it out and pieced most of it together in a day, and did the quilting (by machine) and binding the next day.
Having never quilted before, I did mess up a few things. When I assembled my first row of triangles, I forgot to add a 1/4" seam allowance beyond the "peak" of the triangles so that when I sewed my next row onto it, the peaks stayed sharp.... I also had assembled it in such a way that I couldn't press the seams open neatly, so my whole first row got picked apart and reassembled. Also, one corner got a little wonky when I was quilting it together. I think my assembly of the top wasn't quite perfectly and I would up with a slightly bubbly corner... So, what I've learned is to press open my seams as I go, stitch very very accurately, and more carefully pin the topper to the batting and back.
I'm not sure I'd ever take on a much more complex or traditional style quilt than this, but I've learned that quilting is something that I DO really enjoy! I'm already trying to find patterns for more modern style quilts, and contemplating trying to make a full size one for our bed. I can see how quilting can quickly become an all-encompassing (and expensive!) hobby.