Another weekend has come and gone. I did not have a chance to sew my lovely red velvet or go for a hike in the woods, but I did get a new coffee table and two matching end tables - our first pieces of matching furniture. We were able to get rid of the end table I pulled out of the garbage in college, and the coffee table Dan pulled out of the garbage in college, and now have something nice and new. I will not miss that coffee table, it gave me slivers whenever I dusted it, and Oliver had eaten a good portion of the end table when he was a puppy...
I literally spent the rest of Saturday cutting out orders. Cutting is my least favorite part of sewing, so naturally it's the part that takes me the longest. I got up early on Sunday and started sewing at 7... and didn't quit until 5. But! I am just about done all of my orders from August now... I am lucky to have very patient customers!
Today I am off to work, and not feeling so hot. I woke up at 4am with a really bad migraine, and actually feeling like I had a bit of a fever. I'm feeling a bit better now, but still feel like I could use an hour or two more in bed. I am especially dreading work today because we have been having serious technical issues at work with the computers and I just am not in the mood to deal with it.... sigh.
On the bright side, as I mentioned earlier, I was able to get quite a bit of sewing done. I finished up a custom order that I've been looking forward to for some time. One of the things this woman wanted was a camisole and a pair of sleep shorts in a cotton floral. As you may have noticed, I really like floral (haha), so whenever I see a floral cotton I like I pick up two or three yards and stash it away for special projects, like this one!
The camisole is a basic, triangle cup cami that I have cut on the bias and added elastic smocking to the back to give it a tighter fit on the bust. The shorts are a looser cut French Knicker, with a gathered satin waist band. I reproduced the gathered satin effect around the neckline of the camisole by stitching long casing of satin, threading a 1/2" elastic through the casing, stretching the elastic as I went to create the gathered effect. This does two things, first, it will hold the neckline snug because it is elasticized, secondly... it just looks pretty!
She also wanted a ivory bra and panties set. This bra has removable straps, and light padding and is made to match my ivory satin cheeky panties. It was my first time doing removable straps. I was a little worried because I had a hard time finding the removable hooks that were small enough, but I think they actually camouflage in nicely.
I'm disappointed I did not get out to the forest this weekend. The colours of the leaves are changing so fast. Next weekend is Thanksgiving here in Canada, which means Saturday and Sunday will be spent between my and my husbands families. But I do hope to fit a little walk in there somewhere!